11 June 2008

Banana Dance

Yes, NYC heat wave. And we don't have air conditioning. Late last night a storm came in and blew out the hot sticky air, hooray!

But before the storm, we were sitting around after dinner and sweating and Jerry threw some bananas and milk and ice in the blender and made banana smoothies. So yummy! After we had settled in to watch Dexter, and had been sipping our smoothies for a few minutes, I felt a persistent twitching inside the top of the bulgy part of my abdomen, just below my navel.

"The baby likes the banana shake," I said. "It's kicking like crazy!"

Jerry said, "Really?" and his face lit up.

The baby was doing a banana dance! Like, "That's yummy! Feed me more bananas!" It was so cool.

Much later on, as the temperature finally started to come down, we were giggling about the banana dance, and Jerry did his own version with walking-fingers on my belly, doing the banana dance with the baby.

I can't wait for Jerry to be able to feel the kicking from the outside. I think I'll probably get even more smoothies when that happens.

6 comments:

Ruby said...

Ooh the banana dance is sooo cute. But can you PLEASE change the header from "we're pregnant." It's a complete and total pet peeve of mine when couples say "we're pregnant." Pretty sure the guy is not pushing a small melon out of his insides. I'm just saying...

Emelye said...

Ah, Ruby, but see the pregnancy and labor is about so much more than just the fitting-the-camel-thru-the-nostril part or whatever.

Jerry attends the medical appts with me, and he does the housework and cooking, and he does all this to help take care of me and the baby. So it doesn't quite cut it to say, "I'm pregnant," and leave it at that.

However, the English major in me does see where you're coming from. In a strict medical and grammatical sense, "we" can't be pregnant. Hence the new title....

Ruby said...

So much better...! :)

KSW said...

Emily, I cannot imagine being pregnant without air conditioning. Now, I know Eric would say "but 100 years ago they didn't have air conditioning and everyone was just fine." But still. I was a continuous furnace while pregnant, and I actually rejoiced when winter came just so I could cool off for a bit. You are a saint, and keep the smoothies coming!

Emelye said...

In terms of the heat, I get to cheat bc my office is air-conditioned. So in the heat waves, I actually look forward to getting to work. Now, with the pregnancy, yes, I'm feeling heat more, and it's harder to cool down. My habit is to race around doing stuff -- I'm making myself slow down, take more time, and do less stuff when I can. And the other thing about NYC heat waves is that they typically break within days. Like, right now it's 70 and gorgeous. It will get hot again, but it won't stay that way for weeks on end. Not like in the South!

Unknown said...

Heart Healthy Diet On the off chance that joining a rec center or doing outside practices are not your favorite, you can do indoor activities like running, running or strolling utilizing a treadmill. These days, you get treadmills in any event, for $1000. In the event that you have space limitation at your home, you can purchase treadmills that can be collapsed moreover. Be that as it may, in case you are not ready to do any of these activities, you can in any case build your active work. https://motian.org/