05 June 2008

Physical Stuff

This afternoon I was walking to the restroom and I looked down and realized my feet are turned out. Like, I tried to rotate my legs at the hips to make my toes point forward, and my hips resisted the rotation.

This is new. And it's not covered in any of the pregnancy books. I wonder if I'll get my old alignment back after delivery.

* * *

Speaking of body stuff in the pregnancy books, a lot of the books urge women in their 4th and 5th months not to get upset by the changes in their body shape. How perverse is our beauty culture, that our books offer reassurance that it's okay to be getting rounder!? It's absurd to aim for a flat tummy, when we will look like this at 20 weeks!

It doesn't matter what Jerry feeds me, I have every expectation that I'm going to be huge come October. And I feel proud of my good start now. And that wouldn't feel as subversive as it does if we had a culture with a healthy attitude about women and reproduction.

No comments: